Tuesday, September 27, 2016

All You Wanted to Know About Changing Your Name

There are several reasons why a person would want to change their name. The most common one is because of either a marriage or a divorce. Of course, some individuals choose to alter their original name for an entirely new persona or for religious purposes. Regardless of the reason, there is a certain process that you need to undergo in order to properly change your name. Only once this is completed will you be able to really adopt your new title. 

The Name Change 


The most typical type of name change involves altering or substituting a person’s surname. This is usually due to a marriage or a civil partnership. In this type of instances, proof of your marriage or partnership is typically enough to allow for a legal name change. If you have just ended your marriage or civil partnership, you may want to change your name back. In these instances, you will need evidence of the divorce or the separation. In most cases, this is usually enough to change your surname. You may be required to obtain a deed poll, however, by certain record holders to reverse your name change. 
Some individuals wish to change their entire name. This, too, can be done as easily as changing just your surname. While you are free to adopt your preferred name and use it in your day-to-day life, you will need to make it legal. You cannot sign documents or change your name on important identification papers unless there has been a legal change. For this to occur, you are going to require a deed poll. 

The Deed Poll 


One of the two main ways of getting a deed poll is by enrolling with the official register using official forms. Your other option is to use an agency that specialises in deed polls. While you can create your own deed poll, there are many organisations that will not accept it. Therefore, you will be better off following one of the other two routes. 
Typically, using an agency such as UK Deed Poll Office will ensure that you get your name changed much faster. All you have to do is to sign up, make the necessary payments, sign the forms along with a witness, and send the forms back. 

Changing Names on Documents 


The names on some documents are easier to change than others. For instance, while you might be able to change the name on your passport, there may be different rules for your visas. You are going to need to check with each embassy individually to see if your visa falls under the same guidelines as your new passport.
With some documents, you are not going to be able to change the name at all. This usually occurs with school diplomas or other types of educational certificates. In most instances, the educational organisation or school will not change your certificates to match your current name. 

Informing People 


While you are not obligated to tell people about your name change, there are some agencies that you will need to inform. This includes government offices, particularly the HM Passport office, the DVLA, and financial institutions such as banks and credit card providers. You will also have to notify HM Revenue and Customs, your employer, HM Land Registry, and the Department for Work and Pension. You should also inform all companies or individuals providing you a service as well. 
These are the most important things that you need to know about changing your name. It is important for you to completely understand the process before you attempt to change your name. 

UK Deed Poll Online Office Ltd
27 Old Gloucester Street
Email: support@ukdeedpolloffice.org